At Salem-Keizer Transit every bus is equipped with a boarding ramp or power lift. Most of our buses are low-floor buses that can lower the first step closer to the curb for easier boarding. Ramps, lifts and "kneeling" are available to anyone who uses a mobility device or has difficulty climbing steps. Just ask the driver for assistance.
- The priority seating area is located inside near the front door. These seats are reserved for seniors and people with disabilities.
- There is a securement area on board with room for two mobility devices.
- Major stops and transfer points are announced automatically over the speaker system and displayed on a reader board near the operator. You can also ask the operator to announce when the bus is approaching your stop.
- The reader board near the operator displays when a stop has been requested.
Travel Training is a free instructional program designed to help seniors and people with disabilities with trip planning and route guidance to help them use public transportation on Cherriots and CARTS buses. Learn more
Taking your mobility device on the bus is easier than you think. Each driver is trained to assist you in securing your mobility device. Here are a few simple rules to follow when riding with your mobile device:
- Wait in View: Wait in the middle of the bus stop where the driver can see you clearly. That way when your bus arrives, they will know to deploy the ramp or lift. If you need to use the ramp or lift and the operator has not already deployed it, just ask
- Find Priority Seating & Securing Areas: Once on board, look for the priority seating area near the front of the bus. Two secure seating areas are provided for mobility devices. The operator will secure your mobility device.
- Request a Stop: To alert the driver of your stop, simply press the marked signal stripwhich will alert the driver the lift has been requested. This ensures the operator will stop in a location that is suitable for mobility devices.
- Exit the Bus: When the bus stops, the operator will remove the securement straps from your mobility device and deploy the ramp or lift for you.
View the Video
How-to-Ride with a Mobility Device
Your service animal is always welcome on the bus. While no permit is required, you may be asked if your animal is a service animal and what service the animal provides. To ride with you on the bus, your animal must:
- Remain under your control at all times.
- Behave appropriately at all times.
- Remain at your feet or on your lap. Animals may not sit on the seat.
- Not be aggressive toward people or other animals.
- Be housebroken.
You are responsible for any damage or soiling caused by your animal.
For any questions about bringing your service animal on the bus, please call us at 503-588-2424.
Reduced Fare ID
The Cherriots Reduced Fare ID is a card that allows you to purchase bus fares at the reduced rate. Reduced Fare IDs can be either permanent or temporary. Learn more
RED Line & CherryLift